Do you have “impossible” family members or friends on your holiday shopping list? You know who we’re talking about: people whose gift selections you agonize over, perhaps because they seem to have everything, or their tastes are simply hard to figure out. But maybe, just maybe, they could use something really important: good hearing.
No, we’re not suggesting that you run out to buy hearing aids for someone. That’s not practical, considering how important it is to be professionally fit with customized hearing aids. Besides, giving hearing aids as a gift might land you in someone’s dog house! Here are five ways you can give the gift of good hearing this holiday season:
- Be an advocate for someone in need. Chances are, you know someone who’s experiencing hearing loss. First, educate yourself about the process of getting hearing help (unless you’ve already been through it yourself), and share this information with the family member or friend. You could also offer to accompany this person to a hearing evaluation appointment and/or provide other support.
- Contribute to worthy causes. Several nonprofit organizations are active in various aspects of hearing health, from advocating for the hearing impaired to providing free hearing aids to those in need. Reputable groups include Hearing Health Foundation, Lions Club International and Miracle-Ear Foundation.
- Put old hearing aids to good use. Lions Club International, Hearing Charities of America and other organizations accept used hearing aids that are refurbished and donated to low-income individuals.
- Be a hearing protection “superhero.” The very best way to give the gift of hearing is to prevent hearing loss. In particular, noise-induced hearing loss, which affects an estimated 15% of Americans between the ages of 20 and 69, is highly preventable. If you or a loved one participates in any activity where the sound level exceeds 85 decibels, be sure to wear some type of hearing protection.
- Take care of your own hearing! You can be a “good hearing role model” by getting your hearing tested on a regular basis. And, if your hearing test reveals a problem, follow your provider’s recommendation for treatment. Prove to family members that you value your hearing as much as any of your other senses.
Amplifon Hearing Health Care is ready to help you or a loved one experience the joys of better hearing. Call Amplifon today to schedule a hearing test and consultation with a provider near you.