As we start the new year and new decade, we're recapping the best blogs of 2019:
You need hearing aids, but you’re hesitant to take that step because the price is prohibitive. Fortunately, if you’re age 65 or older, Medicare will cover the cost, right? Wrong. Original Medicare and most Medicare Supplement (or Medigap) plans do not cover hearing aids or routine hearing exams.
The good news is, if you have the right Medicare Advantage plan, you can save thousands of dollars on the purchase of high-quality hearing aids, as well as the cost of related services and hearing aid batteries.
A growing number of Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) offer a hearing healthcare benefit that can make hearing aids more affordable. However, keep in mind that not all benefit programs are the same. Here are important questions to ask when evaluating Medicare Advantage plans:
- How many hearing healthcare providers participate in the program? Can you receive care close to home?
- How many hearing aid brands and models are available to you through the program? Will you receive hearing aids that are a precise match to your needs?
- How much money will you actually save? Some programs specify an allowed amount that you may apply to the purchase of hearing aids, leaving you with thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses.
- What’s included in the purchase of your hearing aids? You need batteries, a warranty and aftercare services, but some programs treat these and other essentials as “extras” that add significantly to the total cost of hearing aid ownership.
How good is your hearing benefit?
By choosing a Medicare Advantage plan that partners with Amplifon Hearing Health Care, you’ll enjoy a hearing benefit that delivers:
- Average savings of up to $3,572 per hearing aid vs. manufacturer’s suggested retail price
- The largest nationwide network of credentialed audiologists and hearing aid dispensers, with locations near 92% of all U.S. neighborhoods
- Access to approximately 2,800 hearing aid models from 10 major brands
- Two years of batteries, three-year warranty, three-year loss and damage coverage and one year of unlimited aftercare, all at no additional charge